Friday 16 February 2018

Juuni Taisen: Righteous action requires righteous intent

Of all the anime I've seen so far, it's a bit strange that this average battle royal one contains my currently, most favorite speech (season 1). I thought I'd share it here for those that don't watch it - and just so I can look at it myself down the track. :)

It's impossible for you to do the right thing, unless you make a conscious effort.

People do wrong in the most off handed ways, just swept along they fall into evil - without purpose, without deliberation, without any thought at all.

Then just like that, they're on the wrong path as if there were no choice.

By contrast no one ever says something like "Without realizing it, I was just doing the right thing," or how about "The next thing I knew I was doing good deeds," or perhaps "I helped someone by mistake, oopsie."

You never hear that, and you never will. Without intent there is no righteousness. There can't be, because righteous action requires righteous intent. You can't do the right thing unless you set your mind to do it.

If your inability to do the right thing is causing you to suffer right now, that's likely because you're aware of the fact that you are not trying to do it.

There are many reasons why one may not try to do good. A myriad of fears which might inspire hesitation.

You can blame it on another person, or on society as a whole. You can blame it on the age we live in, the cards you were dealt; but hear me - those who are not doing the right thing must admit to themselves its not that they cannot do it but they will not do it.

And you, you need not force yourself to do what is right, but don't fool yourself into thinking your failure to do so is because you are unable but because you made the choice not to even try.

All righteous people decide to do right, and then they do it. The steps must be taken in that order. Worrying about the second step while you are still on the first is the height of calamity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment