Sunday 9 July 2023

Creative TV Shows

Shows about creating stuff that is!

Lego Masters Australia (Season 5): Grandmasters

I've posted about Lego Masters Australia before, and for season 5 they've invited teams of past winners and finalists which makes for some even more fantastic displays and even more difficult challenges. It is just that good that it earned another blog post from me, and if you are only planning on watching one season of this show - this is it. You can start out this season here. Note: I know there are other Lego Master shows out there but I've only watched the Australian version so I can't compare them.

Making It


Creators of all types are invited to a large barn where they compete in challenges in making stuff, from tiny toys to big sheds. It helps that the hosts Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman are very charismatic and funny to watch too, and again its has a feel good thing going where the contestants are more excited to see what they and their peers make, often even helping each other, rather than actually aiming to win. The US version has three seasons and there's an Australian version with one season and more contestants - the trade off being the skill ranges are way more varied. Both fun things to watch. You can start watching these here.

The Joy of Painting


I can't believe I'm only getting into this old 31 season show now, where painter Bob Ross teaches how to create amazing landscape paintings in thirty minutes using a wet-on-wet style. It is enthralling to watch, and is actually inspiring me to look into buying art supplies to try it out myself! If that's not a good sign, I don't know what is. You too can enjoy every single episode for free on youtube.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, The Joy of Painting has been a guilty pleasure of mine since my time at college. Of course, the shows were current back then as Bob was still alive, but he had a big following among people at my alma mater in the late 80s/early 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever take up painting from watching it Redbeard? :)

      Delete
    2. No, but I have been tempted. My grandmother was inspired and did some painting, taking a couple of classes taught by people trained in Bob Ross' techniques. I still have one of her paintings around the house.

      Delete