Sunday 12 July 2015

Don't let the World get you Down

Not my intended entry for today but I decided to go with it thanks to Bel's "Be Stronger than Me" post on Aggronaut. Unlike him, I've been lucky on the "not having people in my immediate circles commit suicide" front. This doesn't mean I remain unaffected.



This is Laura, a pretty, 17 year old student with decent musical talent. In December 2012, she jumped in front of a train near where I lived.

I didn't know her. I didn't know her family or friends, but I saw them holding vigil on the railway bridge. I saw them leaving flowers day after day. I saw them cry. I saw their pain. It's not my business, but for some reason I kept thinking what could have been done to prevent it? What could -I- have done to prevent it? Probably nothing right? I'm a stranger.

On the last Ultima Online shard I played, I was equally dismayed when one day I learned that one of the players also killed himself. It was a small shard so while you may not have befriended everyone, you certainly knew who was who. Especially as a GM (Game Master) - like I was, invisibly watching the ones who would just play, even in the slowly emptying world as the population dwindled, raging against all the monster spawns alone as if they were actually seeking death. Perhaps I should have paid more attention?

It's unlikely we can do much for strangers but we can at least help, even just a little bit, the people we know.

How? Just talk to them! I'm not sure if the "Are you Ok?" thing is world wide but regardless, its just a phone call or text message for you. It's worth visiting their site too. Especially with social media these days it should be easy for you to find people that you care about and haven't been in contact with for a bit. It's also important to spread the word, which is kind of the point of this post. That way you might actually inspire someone else to do it and so on.

Australian readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or the Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467. If you are feeling keen on offing yourself, then you certainly have nothing to lose by calling those numbers first.

4 comments:

  1. That's so sad :/
    Never underestimate what a few words can do to a person who is lonely,sad and/or depressed. Sometimes a thought can give a person some hope and meaning, even though we might not think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have said that any better. Thanks Missy! :)

      Delete
  2. I had a former workmate and a friend who commited suicide last year. Even if i attended the funeral I have problem to let go. I can suddenly think of him and for some seconds i dont remember he is dead. And when I do I get that "out of body experience" like "this cant be true". i still does. Could I have done something more? Probably :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that Xanni. Just don't let the grief consume you as well. :(

      Delete