Monday 25 March 2024

The Outer Worlds

This first person sci-fi RPG is set in a solar system run by greedy corporations on planets where hostile wildlife is aplenty and you get to assemble a ragtag crew of misfits much like that of Firefly. While it plays well enough and the graphics are alright, it runs into two main problems for me - the first being scope. You get to land on numerous planets but the explorable area feels limited, smaller than say Fallout or Borderlands both of which this game tries to emulate, which is actually the second problem because its hard not to compare if you've played these. Its humor isn't as good as Borderlands, the story isn't as sharp as Fallout and exploration is not as enticing as either.

I did like the companion abilities though, as whichever two you bring with you can on command/cool-down perform some pretty epic moves. Yes, some are better than others but that didn't stop me from cycling through all of them regularly. Still not a bad game, but just could have been better. I just can't shake the feeling that they either ran out of time or budget or both.

2 comments:

  1. What kept me from trying this game out was the first person only viewpoint. When I play from a first person perspective, I get motion sick. So... The Outer Worlds is no bueno for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes Redbeard, do you have the same problem with over the shoulder cam type games or just first person ones? That kinda removes a whole bunch of games for you if its all of them...

      Delete